Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Events...

What an interesting day this is. It is the date that my grandparents were taken from us, four years apart from one another. As of this morning, however, there is reason to celebrate. I was able to witness the passage of the final stepping stone to my nephew being officially part of the family. In terms of our hearts and lives, this day was not necessary, but states and governments like things to be neatly tied up with signatures and lawyers and witnesses. I knew it would not be a formal event as soon as I saw my sister and her husband standing next to their lawyer, who was wearing a "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" tie. He said if he couldn't wear that one for family court, where else on earth would he wear it? I had to agree.

We moved through the Ontario County Courthouse and as we did it occurred to me that I'd never actually been inside. It's beautiful. The historical character has been preserved -- sweeping stair cases, woodwork, marble, gorgeous carpeting. In fact, it has been so preserved that the accommodations for Daniel's paternal grandmother were a bit tucked away in a corner (she had just had knee replacement surgery). They made it work. As I walked through, admiring, I thought about how many people who go there for far less positive reasons and don't pay as much attention to it. Wrongdoings, workers, those doing their civic duty...they must not see it because of worry or repetition. but I couldn't not notice it. Once we were past security, it was like walking back in time. Especially when the lawyer casually pointed out the courtroom where Susan B. Anthony was tried. Wow. I wish we'd been in that room.


But, we were in the North Court Room -- green and gold carpeting, woodwork everywhere, an impressive judge's bench with emblazoned gold lettering above a high backed leather chair. the walls were decorated with paintings of past judges and high windows with wooden blinds. The prosecution and defendant tables were glass topped and there was something heartwarming and adorable about Daniel's chubby legs on the table. It was a laid back, comfortable affair that felt routine for them in spite of the importance for us. All smiles, all laughter, all memory. I'm sure my sister and her husband won't remember the specifics of what happened in there, but that doesn't matter. I won't either. I'll just remember that on this day, a day of tears and heartache in the past, we were given a giggly reason to smile. One more little munchkin in the family, one who carries my grandfather's name as his middle one.

As I left the courtroom I couldn't help but think of all the history that had happened there....and now our own family history could add to that. The judge said this morning was the highlight of his day. For us, it will be a highlight for far, far longer than that...

-T

1 comment:

"I appreciate you..."

I'm always fascinated with the ways that people can lift up other people.  We live in a world that is often a little too corrosive and v...